RIFLEMAN RICHARD FISHER JOHNSON
C/12452, B Company, 21st (Yeoman Rifles) (Service) Battalion, The King’s Royal Rifle Corps.
Died of Wounds, 30th
Aged 23 years.
Buried in the Churchyard
at All Saints’ Parish Church, Barwick in Elmet, Leeds.
|The badge of the King's Royal Rifle Corps
Richard Fisher Johnson was the third
boy of the five children then born to Edmond and Agnes Jane Johnson who lived and worked on Lower Barnbow Farm between Scholes
and Barwick. Edmond and Agnes had married in the Howden District, in the East Riding, in late 1884. They were both born in
Holme-upon-Spalding Moor, and as Agnes’ maiden name was also Johnson, it may be that they were related before they married.
The 1891 census shows they were living at Lock Farm in Holme and had two sons and two daughters: Adelaide (b. 1885),
Ernest Leopold (b. 1887), Charles William (b. 1889), and Lilian (b. 1890). Such was the size of the farm that five farm labourers
were employed as well as two domestic servants, one of whom was employed as a nurse maid for the 7 month old Lilian. Bulmer’s
1892 Directory for Holme shows another farm in the area, Holme Landing Farm, being worked by one Fisher Johnson, and given
that Edmond and Agnes gave their son, Richard, Fisher as his middle name, it seems likely that this was the Johnson family
that Agnes came from.
the ten years between the census of 1891 and that of 1901, further children had been born, these being: Richard Fisher (b.
1893), Edmond (b. 1896), Frank (b. 1898) and Hilda (b. 1900). The family had also moved to Skipwith, with Hilda being born
there. Richard was born in Cranswick, Edmond in Holme and Frank in Bubwith. The family is shown on the 1911 census to be complete
with the birth of the ninth and tenth children, John Andrew (b. 1904), and Lizzie Mildred (b. 1906). We also learn from the
1911 census that one of the older children had died, and it appears that Edmond died in 1906 at the age of 11.
The 1911 census also shows us that the Johnson
family had taken up the tenancy of Lower Barnbow Farm, which they rented from the Gascoigne family of Lotherton Hall in Aberford.
Richard had left home and was working as a waggoner on the nearby Throstle Nest Farm, another of the Gascoigne farms, run
by Joseph Helm.
|Believed to be Rifleman RF Johnson
Richard Johnson was not caught up in the great rush to arms which swept the country. In 1914 he was 21 years
old and would have been a valuable asset to any farm. When he did enlist he chose to join a battalion which had been specifically
raised to take men from the farming communities from the North of England. The 21st (Yeoman Rifles)(Service) Battalion,
the King’s Royal Rifle Corps was raised and commanded by Lt Col Charles Duncombe, 2nd Earl Feversham. He
attested in York on 25th November 1915 and he eventually found himself in B Company of the battalion which was
predominantly made up of men from the West Riding of Yorkshire. Colonel Gascoigne and the Earl of Feversham had served together
in the Yorkshire Hussars Yeomanry during the South African war of 1899 – 1902, and when the Earl was raising the battalion
it is likely that he will have made contact with land owners in the catchment areas for the battalion to suggest to employees
and tenant farmers that the battalion would be a good option for them.
Richard Fisher Johnson was wounded in action on 15th September 1916, when his battalion was involved
in heavy fighting close to the village of Flers on the Somme in Northern France. An extract from the ‘Annals of
the KRRC Vol. V, The Great War by Major-General Sir Steuart Hare’ describes the fighting in the following terms:
15 September, 1916.
"Next to the left of the 14th Division came
the 41st. It attacked with the 124th Brigade on the right with two battalions in the front line--10th Queen's on the right,
21st KRRC on the left; the 122nd Brigade was on the left, with the 15th Hampshire on the right, the 18th KRRC on the left. The dividing line between the two
brigades passed through the middle of the village of Flers. The 18th Battalion made an unfortunate start,which might well have affected the whole operation. Just as the attack
was about to commence, the Commanding Officer (Lieut.-Colonel C. P. Marten, West Yorkshire Regiment), the Adjutant (Captain
F. Walton), the Signalling Officer (Lieutenant W. S. Mathews), and the Trench Mortar Officer (Lieutenant D. S. D. Clark) were
all killed by one shell. It speaks volumes for the training and discipline of the Battalion that, after this catastrophe,
the attack was carried to a successful conclusion. At 6.20 a.m. the infantry advanced behind the barrage, and the first objective
was taken at about 6.45. The Germans did not stand except for the machine-gun detachments, which, as usual, stuck it out manfully,
and inflicted heavy casualties on the attackers, especially among the officers. Seven out of ten tanks had crossed the front
line, and reached the objective two minutes ahead of the infantry. Consolidation was begun at once, and at 7.20 a.m. the attack
was continued behind the barrage,
four tanks being still in action. The infantry got ahead of the tanks, but there was little opposition. The enemy's barrage,
however, was very heavy. In one place the troops were stopped by uncut wire, but two tanks came up and made gaps in it. By
8 a.m. the second objective, a trench running through the extreme southern end of Flers, had been taken, and consolidation
begun. At 8.10 a.m. 4 tanks entered Flers, followed by the infantry. The tanks did most effective work hunting out machine-gun
nests. The village was cleared by 10 a.m., but there was much disorganization and mixing of units owing to the heavy casualties
among the officers. The village was very heavily shelled, and at one time it looked as if the troops would be shelled out
of it. At 10.20 a.m. a party of about 100 men and 2 machine guns, led by Captain R. Baskett, 18th KRRC, reached the third
objective, and established themselves in two works, called Box and Cox, just north of the village, in touch with the New Zealanders
on their left.
|Trench map showing Flers the day after the action
At this time the 124th Brigade had got out of touch to the east of the village, but in touch with the 14th
Division. Lieut.-Colonel the Earl of Feversham, Commanding the 21st KRRC, and Lieut.-Colonel Oakley,10th Queen's, with
as many men as they could collect, advanced against the third objective, the same trench which, farther along, had been the
limit of the advance of the 9th Rifle Brigade, captured it and held it for some time against more than one counter-attack.
During this time Lord Faversham was killed. This party was in the end obliged to fall back east of the village. However, by
the end of the day a line was established by the Division running round the north side of the village and connecting up with
the 14th Division on the right and the New Zealanders on the left. This was the greatest advance made by any division in the
course of the day.
casualties of our two battalions were: 18th Battalion: officers--killed, in addition to those already named, Major P. G. Sadd,
Captain J. B. Lester, Lieutenant C. N. Curwen, 2nd Lieutenant J. J. Langford; wounded 7; other ranks--killed 57, wounded 227,
died of wounds 3, missing 59. Total of all ranks, 360.
21st Battalion: officers--killed, Lieutenant-Colonel the Earl of Feversham, 2nd Lieutenants T. P. A. Hervey,
R. B. Nivison,; wounded 10; other ranks--killed 54, wounded 256, missing 70. Total of all ranks, 394.
The 21st Battalion was relieved at 3 a.m. the next
day by the 11th Queen's; the 18th Battalion was not relieved till September 18."
|The grave of Rifleman Richard F Johnson
of weeks later, the Rothwell Courier and Times, a local weekly newspaper reported that Rifleman Johnson had been wounded and
was in hospital in Netley. On 7th October 1916 it published the following article:
regret to announce the death of Private Richard Johnson, of the King's Royal Rifles, who was reported in our last issue
as having been seriously wounded. Deceased, whose father is a farmer at Barnbow, was wounded in the fight in which Lord Feversham
was killed, and was brought to England, receiving treatment at Netley Hospital. His injuries, however, were so serious that
there was little hope of his recovery, and the gallant lad died on Saturday.
to enlisting he resided at Osbaldwick, near York, and he greatly appreciated the kindness of the vicar of the parish, who,
on hearing of his being wounded, went to Netley and spent two days with him. The body was conveyed to Scholes on Tuesday morning,
and taken home, the interment taking place later in the day. Colonel Benson, of Oswaldkirk, sent a beautiful wreath to place
upon the hero's grave. Private Johnson was very brave, for although he was wounded in the neck, he refused to fall out,
and went on until he received the wound which caused his death.
|Naming details on the grave of Rfn Johnson
The Oswaldkirk estate owned by Colonel Benson bordered
the Helmsley estate, making him a neighbour of the Earl of Feversham.
Richard Fisher Johnson lies buried in the churchyard at All Saints’ parish church in Barwick
in Elmet. His gravestone is not a Commonwealth War Graves Commission stone. He was 23 years old."